Sunday, 22 November 2015

Welcome to my life



At the age of four, I moved out of the city and into the country, and this is where my love of animals began. I owned and cared for cats, dogs, frogs, calves, and every other animal imaginable. From this young age I decided that I would work with animals in my future career, and I was right.
Hi, my name is Emma, I’m eighteen years old and I have lived in Hamilton my whole life, up until the beginning of this year. I now live in Palmerston North as I am a student at Massey University. I started semester one of this year doing pre-vet, semester two doing a Bachelor of Animal Science and now am changing to Veterinary Technology next year. I have chosen to study Veterinary Technology as I am interested in many different aspects of animal health and well being, including animal behavior and welfare.
I confirmed my interest in animal welfare and behavior when I began fostering and volunteering at the SPCA about four years ago, by seeing the transformation that the animals went through after being rescued. My latest rescue dog which I adopted from the pound caused my interest to grow in animal behavior. He was abused and starved and as a result he was afraid of everything. By doing obedience and agility training with him, he has turned into a completely different dog, who is full of confidence and is loving life.
My ambitions for the future after becoming a vet tech, is to contribute to the welfare and quality of life for many animals. I plan to do this in two ways. The first is to help rehabilitate injured and orphaned wild animals, in places like Africa and South America so that they can be released back into the wild. The other way is to open a vet clinic alongside an animal shelter for stray animals, in the hope they can be re-homed and gain a second chance in life.
From this course I expect to gain and improve on my communication skills, both written and oral, which will be beneficial in my future career as a vet tech. I hope to gain a clear understanding of how to communicate correctly and concisely while also gaining good grades. I  feel that this course will help me to some degree in my future career, but will vary depending upon the specific path I take as a Vet Tech. An aspects where this paper will help me, will be when be communicating with co-workers and pet owner, which is very important as these are likely to be two of the largest communication areas in my future job.
As a communicator my largest strength would be writing position styled papers as I am confident in researching a topic, looking at both sides and then forming an opinion. I enjoy researching topics which I am unfamiliar with, as I enjoy expanding my knowledge as much as possible in many different areas. I am unfamiliar with all of the topics in this paper, so am excited to begin this course. My greatest weakness as a communicator would be the lack of precision in my writing. I tend to use a lot more words than are needed when explaining something, and I will try and improve on this throughout the course.

2 comments:

Grace Nicholas said...

You seem like you have a very beautiful soul. Being so passionate about animals and their well being I think you will make an amazing Vet Tech and contribute greatly to animals welfare and their quality of life. I am also a great animal lover but although working with animals will be very rewarding I don't think I could handle the sad parts that come with it. I have to agree with your ambitions from this course as I to want to improve on my written and oral communication skills. I feel I have a similar weakness to you as I also use a lot more words than needed to get my point across and am trying to stop doing this.

Unknown said...

It was interesting to hear how your passion for animals arose and from such a young age! Your introduction to your life was entertaining and informative. I enjoyed how you linked your passion for animals to your course of study and provided details on how you were going to fulfil your ambitions. It was inspiring to hear how you cared for your dog and it showed in your writing the love you have for animals. It is clear what you want out of this course and I hope working in a team with you can help accomplish those goals. You outline how communication will be important in your job and this gives me confidence that I will find use for this course. Your enthusiasm for this paper is very uplifting and helps me see our coursework in a new light.