Skipping days of school, skipping classes and coming up with
every excuse teachers have heard. I and the majority of people in my classes
did this every year whenever speeches came around. The later in the week you
got to do your speech the better. If you were really lucky, the class would run
out of time and you would do it during lunchtime. Everyone’s aim was to try and
do their speech with the least people in the room.
However, I don’t think it’s talking in front of people that
makes me nervous, rather the fear is within the content of the oral report. It
worries me that what I’m talking about is boring to the audience and they don’t
want to listen. I think to overcome this, I need to be confident in the content
of the speech. I am confident that with the content I have prepared for assignment
three, so believe that I will sound confident in my topic and in myself when
presenting.
I improved my public speaking this year through my job at a
trampoline park, where I give safety briefings to large groups of people. I
feel like this has given me a lot more confidence talking in front of a lot of
people. It think it is important to be confident at public speaking if working
in science, as one of the best ways to learn in science. Sharing ideas through
oral communication rather than written communication. Oral communication allows
for more clarity and understanding on a given topic as more breath and depth
can be established and understood.
In the upcoming assignment, I am confident that as a team,
we will successfully communicate to the Minister, the different aspects that we
communicated in our report. So far we have planned to do our oral report using PowerPoint
with a voice over. Unlike the previous years, when we skipped school just to avoid a speech, I will be confident in my content and presentation of this seminar.
1 comment:
I am glad you feel confident in the content of our report - hopefully you will be able to complete your voice-over without a hitch. I feel many people who are nervous about public speaking like you also miss-diagnose their anxiety for fear of the audience rather than lack of confidence for the content they are speaking about. I also agree with the idea you presented about how science is often better communicated orally rather than just on paper. It can be hard to become excited about a report which is one hundred pages long. However, if a person was talking about the same topic as the report using pictures and videos and interactive questions - this can sometimes be a much more effective way of learning.
Post a Comment