Sunday, 29 November 2015

Learning how to research



I always thought I knew the easiest way to find information on a topic, turns out I was wrong. I usually just type in the topic in question into google and use what comes upon the first page, and occasionally venture out onto the second page. However I have learnt that there are much easier, accurate and reliable ways of finding information.

The most useful way of finding information that I have found, is through using the Massey online library. For assignment one, I have chosen the topic, “Possum and/or stoat control programmes are ethically justifiable”. I found it easiest to break down the topic into two parts and then research each part separately. This helped me form an opinion on the topic as I had no idea to which way I was leaning towards before I started this assignment. The two parts which I broke the topic into were:
1.      1. Researching the possum and stoat control programmes that we have in New Zealand and the consequences they have.                                                                                                                    
2. Researching what it means to be “ethically justifiable.”

I used a few general rules to expand my search results while keeping the search precise and relevant to the topic. These rules included adding an * to the end of the word, allowing other versions of the word to be included in the search, for example control* would also allow controlled to come up in the results. Another rule which I used quite often was adding quotation marks around words which I wanted to stay together as a phrase when been searched. To quickly find information on the webpage I often held down Ctrl and F, typed in a keyword and was able to find the words without having to go through the entire webpage. This was especially useful when reading large reports, where large parts of it were not relevant. 



2 comments:

Grace Nicholas said...

I feel like a general consensus has been established in that we all felt that research was easy because we could just punch in our question into google and be handed resources that would give us the answer. We were all very wrong. I definitely agree that searching the topic as a whole is not the best way to gather information and that breaking down the research into 2 parts made it a lot more simple. Stating how you researched your topic was very helpful as I would not have thought to research it like that. You seemed to be very prepared on how to tackle this assignment and I am looking forwards to working with you on assignment 2 and see how you will tackle researching for this assignment.

Unknown said...

This was a short and sharp post which held my attention on potentially unstimulating topic. I like how you had the forethought to research the definition of ethics as this shows you have been thinking about our next assignment. Setting your research plan out into steps helped me understand your topic more and allowed me to grasp the issue we are facing in New Zealand. The little tips you included on how you went about your researching were very helpful and showed me how knowledgeable you are on the proper and most effective techniques for searching.